27 Mar 2017
Join this awesome group of professionals and help grow the Bicycle Coalition’s efforts in the 8 county suburbs.
See the job posting here
JOB TITLE: Regional Organizer
COMPENSATION: See Job Posting online above
BENEFITS: Health Insurance, vacation, sick & personal leave, bike benefit START DATE: Immediate Opening
ABOUT THE BICYCLE COALITION OF GREATER PHILADELPHIA
For the past forty-five years the Bicycle Coalition of Greater Philadelphia has advocated for better bicycling infrastructure, access, and opportunity – promoting safety and community health. Our small staff come from many walks of life, but everyone here shares the same passion: making bicycling a safe and fun way to get around for anyone in Greater Philadelphia. We work hard to improve bicycling for all people, but we do not lose sight of the fact that bicycling is fun. We have an active membership of 2,500 donors and over 19,000 advocates in the community, governmental, public and private sectors that effect change to make our streets safer and our region’s 750 mile Circuit Trail Network accessible and better connected.
WHO WE ARE LOOKING FOR
The Regional Organizer is a key player in our Circuit Coalition and suburban outreach work. This person should be dynamic, personable, detail-oriented, outgoing, and have excellent writing skills. You should be able to thrive in a fast-paced workplace, work with a diversified set of constituents, and handle multiple tasks with a high degree of accountability. You need not be a serious bicyclist, but you must embrace our mission that bicycling should be a safe and fun way for everyone to get around the Greater Philadelphia Area.
REPORTING RELATIONSHIPS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT:
The Regional Organizer will report to the Executive Director and serve as a member of both the Policy and Development Team. This position will have responsibility to organize constituents in the suburbs around our Circuit Coalition efforts, a project funded by the William Penn Foundation. This individual should anticipate traveling throughout the eight county suburbs for meetings, trainings and forums to educate and engage our current and future partners. In addition this individual will be responsible for the bulk of the communication efforts directed to our suburban influence and will assist in the development of a new technical assistance program and membership engagement strategy.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The Regional Organizer will be responsible for:
- Online organizing as it relates to communications around the Circuit and our Suburban work(the Bicycle Coalition blog, Circuit blog, Biking the Suburbs facebook page, various newsletters in
- Organize our regional community around the Circuit through:
o Designing public outreach strategies to develop and build public support; o Working with regional agencies to promote implementation;
o Presenting at public meetings, city agencies and the press;
o Research policies and statistics as needed for advocacy campaigns and reports.
- Keep up-to-date on transportation projects, particularly bike and pedestrian projects, in theDVRPC region.
- Performing general office duties, attending meetings, assist with appointments and calendars.
- Working with the organization’s development department to assist with fundraising strategiesas it relates to our members in the suburbs of Philadelphia.
- Reside in or have familiarity with the surrounding PA and NJ counties of Philadelphia (preferred).
- Comfortable presenting information to and engaging large groups with humor and enthusiasm.
- Comfortable presenting information to municipal and elected officials, in person or at publichearings.
- Ability to deliver succinct and compelling advocacy messages in media interviews.
- Ability to write and speak in a professional, friendly and accurate manner.
- Ability to complete work in an unstructured and informal environment with limited supervision.
- Strong business writing, data entry, and office skills. Experience with Google Docs, donor management software, email marketing software, social media, and MS Office.
- Basic knowledge of bicycle infrastructure / familiar with NACTO design guide.
- Understanding of google map and/or GIS experience a plus.
- Ability to work some weekend and evening hours.
- A strong commitment to the Bicycle Coalition’s mission.
- A professional appearance and manner.APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS
Interested Candidates should send a resume, cover letter and three references to firstname.lastname@example.org by no later than Monday, April 10th at 5 PM.
*A background check will be required for persons working in the Coalition’s offices. **Please no phone calls.
The Bicycle Coalition of Greater Philadelphia is committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all persons regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, marital status, political affiliation, sexual orientation or gender identity, disability, sex or age.